Wednesday, June 6, 2012

New York Times Mini-Documentary

Hi Ladies!

I am actually featured in the below video which is a lovely documentary that Zina Saro-Wiwa has created. I am in the group shot where there are several women saying transition.

I really love that she has taken it upon herself to do this mini-documentary. She describes some of the themes of the movement and she explains how it is really personal reasons behind why women have begun to transition.

I think it is really important that people understand that it is an acceptance of ourselves as we were born that is behind this movement and that it is a beautiful thing that is happening.

I remember that defining moment when I just wanted so badly to have a relaxer so that my hair could look nice. Keep in mind, I didn't want it to be straightened because my hair was not nice. I wanted it done because my mother did NOT know how to do my hair. And that is not in the sense that she didn't know the styles and tactics I know now, that is in the sense that she didn't even know how to braid it. My hair was often times pushed back into a bushy, frizzy dry, blown out ponytail that was never even styled nicely for school photos.

Take a peek at the documentary below and see what Zina has to say. Shes a wonderful person and when I met her, her accent was lovely and her excitement was refreshing!





www [dot] ceceUNedited [dot] com

0 comments:

Upcoming Posts:

Show Up Show Out
Nail Tutorial
Twist-out Tutorial

Followers

bloglovin

Blog Roll

Creative Commons License