Thursday, May 27, 2010

Naturale Spotlight: Sydni

By Yirssi, from Breaking The Glass Ceilings, and Living Life To The Fullest.

Meet 22 year old Sydni, a Temple University graduate, and 3 year natural:

Sydni and a friend.


Do you remember how old you were when you got your first relaxer?


Looking back, getting my relaxer was one of the biggest mistakes of my life. I was 13 years old and I did it because I was tired of all the kids in my middle school making fun of my hair. They said I looked like Oprah. Being 13 and ridiculed over your hair, something that you're born with and can't change is hard especially at that age. You're starting puberty and into boys and all you want to be is accepted.

How long have you been natural and what made you decide to go natural?


I've been natural for 3 years. I decided to go natural because my friend Kassandra told me I should do it. Her hair was full, bouncy and beautiful and I decided to give the natural thing a try. Plus, I was sick and tired of my hair breaking off. Another reason I decided to go natural is that I live in Philadelphia and being in an area where you see so many black women rocking their natural tresses is a beautiful thing. I grew up in a predominately white neighborhood outside of Pittsburgh and finding a girl with natural hair was far and few between. But living in a city where nappy hair was viewed as beautiful sparked an epiphany for me that I could do it too.

How do u like being natural?

I don't regret it at all. I've learned to love myself in new ways. Having my natural hair made me feel free. I won't lie, sometimes I get frustrated because I feel like my hair has a mind of its own by changing and looking different everyday. But no matter how frustrated I become, I never want to go back. I love being natural.
It makes me feel beautiful.

Do you have a specific hair regimen? If so, what is it?

I put Blue magic hair grease on my scalp every night, wet each strand and then twist my hair and put curlers on the end.
The grease gives my hair sheen and when I take the twists, my afro is a combination fo curly and wavy. 


**

Thank you Sydni for your time, and I look forward to seeing you as one of Television's new reporters in the near future.


1 comments:

Nicole said...

I look forward to having hair as beautiful as yours when my hair grows out. I have been natural for only four months and so far so good!

Upcoming Posts:

Show Up Show Out
Nail Tutorial
Twist-out Tutorial

Followers

bloglovin

Blog Roll

Creative Commons License